Insolvency law for businesses and individuals
We have considerable experience in advising on all aspects of insolvency litigation, including acting for insolvency practitioners, companies, individuals and directors.
Insolvency is when businesses or individuals are unable to repay their debts. It can be a complicated process that involves varied areas of law such as employment, tax, property, family and more.
As specialists, we can advise on the full range of contentious insolvency matters. Our services include:
For more information about our corporate legal services please call us on +44 (0)20 3475 6751 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Acting for Individuals
We can advise and act for you in relation to:
- Steps to be taken to avoid Bankruptcy
- Applying to set aside a Statutory Demand
- Opposing a Bankruptcy Petition
- Negotiating settlement of claims, thus avoiding Bankruptcy
- Steps to be taken if you have incorrectly been adjudged Bankrupt, including an annulment.
- Dealing with the Official Receiver or Trustee in Bankruptcy
- Seeking permission to act as a company director whilst Bankrupt
- Protecting the interest of related parties in the matrimonial home or other properties
- Recovering monies due to you from a debtor through the bankruptcy procedure
Acting for Companies
We can advise you and act for you in relation to:
- Steps to be taken to avoid Liquidation/Administration/Receivership of your company
- Applying to injunct the presentation or advertisement of a Winding-up Petition
- Opposing a Winding-up Petition
- Cancelling a Winding-up Order
- Dealings with the Official Receiver or Liquidator including defending claims against you for fraudulent or wrongful trading or having preferred creditors
- Defending an action to disqualify you as a Director
- Personal liability as a guarantor of the company’s debts or other obligations
- Recovery of monies from a corporate debtor through the corporate insolvency procedure
- Restoration of a company to the register for the purpose of a claim against it, or recovery of your own monies, for example in a bank account where your company has been “struck off.”
Acting for Insolvency Practitioners
We can advise you and act for you in relation to:
- Recovery of real property and other assets from Bankrupts, associated parties and third parties, under sections 339, 340 and 423 Insolvency Act 1986
- Actions against directors and shadow directors pursuant to Sections 212, 213, 214 and 423 Insolvency Act 1986
- Actions against director and third-party guarantors under personal guarantees
- Applications to annul Bankruptcy Orders or cancel Winding-up Orders
- Claims in respect of the administration of Insolvent companies/individuals
- General claims and matters in the course of the administration of a Bankruptcy/Liquidation/Administration etc.
YOUR CORPORATE LAW TEAM
t: +44 0203 649 9016
t: +44 020 3475 2729
m: +44 07377 190 406
t: +44 020 3475 2724
m: +44 07931 347 854
WHY CARTER BOND
Unlike many law firms when we say partner or barrister led, we mean partner or barrister led. When clients work with us, they get constant access to the lead on their instruction. Yes, we have a team of solicitors and juniors for some of the groundwork and necessary research required by our clients, but this is when it makes financial sense to the client for us to do this. We provide constant contact at no extra cost as part of our service as most of our lawyers have their own business, so they know first-hand how important having a proactive, responsible and trusted partner on their side can be. And also how to work to a financial budget, and the way that legal decisions impact the wider organisation, which often requires balancing risks and competing interests.
Many ask us ‘what’s different about you?’ and we like to reply, ‘because we go the extra mile’. We see our work as building and maintaining good business relationships rather than just earning fees. How we do this is by keeping in constant contact with our clients and intermediaries. From pre to post instruction we ensure that our clients are informed of all legal issues that may impact their business and therefore lives. That is why we provide daily or weekly updates to ALL of our clients whether there is anything to tell them or not (we don’t charge for this we just see it as part of our service). We like our clients to rest peacefully knowing that when we are instructed, and we say ‘we will take it from here’ they know we mean it.
City quality, outer City fees
The world is changing, and many individuals are realising that lifestyle is as vital to them as is income. We are the lucky ones who can hand pick lawyers who can provide the best quality advice but at outer city costs. Our offices are in North West London which may not be the most salubrious in the market but at the same time this allows us to charge our clients for what they pay for, our advice NOT our office space.
ALL our lawyers have previously worked in large city-based law firms and continue to practise and offer the same high level service they provided to clients in the City but without the pressure and demands often dictated by City law firm. This allows us to be competitive on our fees without compromising our service.
All in all, our clients win, which is the way we like it.
Our knowledge and resources are yours
All our clients benefit from the same high level of care and attention whether the instruction is big or small. At the outset of each matter, we discuss the entire process with our clients, including the costs, potential outcomes and issues associated. This is to ensure clients are fully aware, knowledgeable and are in control always. Supporting and ensuring we provide the highest level of services, we offer our constant contact process with the partner or barrister leading your file, a document log in for matters which are for larger and more complicated instructions and on-going support post transaction should our clients require it. Our aim is not just to get the work done, but to make our clients’ lives easier as we do it, which is why we ensure that our clients have regular access to the resources they need from us.
“They were able to get to the heart of the matter very quickly.”
“Outstanding legal services.”
“Proactive and reliable”
“Extremely successful M&A transaction.”
“They really understand the importance and urgency of the matters they are dealing with.”
“All the legal side was handled brilliantly.”
“They quickly grasped the essentials of what was required.”
“They gave me great advice and were able to support me throughout all stages of the transaction. Thank you!”
Insolvency and restructuring are covered by comprehensive but complex legislation in the UK. Below are some of the most commonly asked questions about how this area of law works in practice within the UK. What is the legal definition of insolvency? There are a number...
Many companies have suffered substantial financial hardship since March 2020. In recent weeks there has been significant talk of economic recovery. Although it is anticipated that businesses will resume regular trading activity in the coming weeks, there are many...
Statutory demands can be an effective and inexpensive tool when seeking to recover an undisputed debt. It is a formal written request for a debt to be paid. However, on its own or if not executed properly a statutory demand will be ineffective. This article focuses on...